Many Albertans do not partake in the Christmas festivities for a variety of reasons. Whatever the reason may be, you may find yourself with little or nothing to do. It seems like the whole world stops for 2 days; Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. So what can you do with your family? Rather than get cabin fever from being stuck at home, here are some ideas for things you can do during Christmas:
- Eat! You may not know this but there are many restaurants that are open Christmas Day. Many of these include Chinese restaurants, Jewish restaurants and Mediterranean restaurants. You can also, skip the dishes and order pizza!
- Play Tourist! Tourist attractions rarely close during the holidays. This is a great time to head to the mountains to get out of the country. Although the prices may be a bit higher to take advantage of people flooding away for the a few days, if you book ahead you can get better deals. Also, most tourist places have fun activities taking place like festivals, outdoor skating, etc.
- Staycations! Our Alberta mamas are no strangers to the idea of staycations. You can do this in your own city. Rent a great hotel, hang out in the pool, order food and movies. Why not try one at home too? Tap into your childhood days of making forts and camping out in the living room.
- Game night! Invite some other non-celebrators for a potluck dinner and game night. Who doesn’t love games like Charrades, Scategories, Cards Against Humanity and Skipbo?! Got little ones? How about Connect Four, Trouble and Twister?!
- Use the downtime! You may appreciate this time to catch up on chores or tasks you need to do at home. Enjoy a book you’ve been meaning to read, do some goal setting for the New Year or reignite Children may enjoy some time to just play, do crafts, and watch movies.
However you spend those days may they be relaxing and joyful!