I’m going on a vacation this month…alone, well, not alone, but without my spouse or kids. It’s a week in an all-inclusive resort in Mexico. The type of vacation that you dream of. No cooking, no yelling at (your own) children, margaritas by the pool, real heat and no snow and did I mention, margaritas by the pool.
A few years ago, when my kiddo was only a toddler, I did it. I left for some me time.
We don’t know about you but we are SO excited for the snow to melt and the reno’s to begin! But we really don’t even have to wait do we? Lots can be done inside while it’s chilly outside!
With big names like Bryan Baeumler hosts of HGTV’s Bryan Inc., plus, with more than 225 exhibitors and a slew of exciting new features, there’s real advice and real inspiration at the Edmonton Renovation Show!
The 2019 Edmonton Renovation Show runs:
Friday, January 25th, 2019 – 12PM – 9PM
Saturday, January 26th, 2019 – 10AM – 9PM
Sunday, January 27th, 2019 10AM – 6PM
Buy your tickets online here or enter to win passes below in our GIVEAWAY! Did you know, Kids 12 & under are free!
Thanks to the Renovation Show we have a four pack of tickets to giveaway! Tickets can be picked up at the show box office and the draw will be Monday, January 21st.
Airplane travel with babies can be an anxiety-inducing adventure! Especially when your baby is under 2 years old and they are riding in your lap. I traveled lots with both of my children when they were babies and compiled this list of ideas that I’ve used personally to keep them occupied on those long flights.
This list is for babies aged about 8 – 18 months.
- Lots of favourite snacks to munch on – also new snacks to try out will create a lot of excitement and wonder as well!
- Coloured sticky notes to pull apart and stick around is always entertaining!
- New board books or tiny books for small hands.
- Magnetic sticker books.
- Aquadoodle is always a hit with the older babies.
- Wrap up little trinkets from the dollar store to let them unwrap on the plane. You’ll have to bring the wrapping paper and tape so you can do your wrapping after going through security.
- New small toys. Anything with new texture or interesting gadgets they can handle and play with will keep them busy.
- Stand and let your little one enjoy roaming around in your seat (if it’s safe of course!) Gives them more freedom than being confined to your lap.
- Walk the aisles periodically to let them explore and stretch.
- If all else fails, load some baby-friendly apps on your tablet or smartphone to keep them occupied or distracted.
Do you have anything great ideas to add to this list? We’d love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
Looking for a nice little escape (without the kids) this summer? Take the hubby on a date weekend or pick up the girlfriends and head to Pigeon Lake! I spent a blissful few days here earlier in the summer and I was really impressed with all there is to do in the area. Pigeon Lake is kid friendly too, but by this point in the summer you might be itching for a little adult break…. am I right?
By Amanda Cook, C.H.N.
Taking time to focus on your needs is neither selfish nor selfless, it’s simply necessary for your mental, emotional and physical health. When mother’s take the time to care for themselves, they’re better able to meet the needs of their family. Have you ever had a bad day and just watch your intimate world fall apart? I have! A mother is typically the centre of the home and when her needs are met, life just flows easier.
This weekend (July 7 & 8th) is Free Fishing Weekend in Alberta! This is a great opportunity to test out fishing with the kids this summer. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Free fishing weekend means that you do NOT need to purchase a fishing license to fish on waterbodies with open fishing seasons.
- This is not valid in National Parks.
- Sportfishing regulations still apply- visit the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing here for those details.
Did you know that Alberta has about 300 stocked waterbodies? For a list of those areas, visit My Wild Alberta a click on ‘Stocking Reports’!
Enjoy your weekend & happy fishing!
Grab your floatie and head to Sylvan Lake on August 5th for Jaws on the Lake!
This awesome summer event includes food trucks, extended hours and 25% savings to the Aqua Splash Park PLUS a showing of the Jaws movie on a huge outdoor screen! You can watch from the water in your own floatie (a small boat or kayak would do too) or bring some blankets and cozy up on the beach. The movie starts at 9pm, at Lakefront Park. Be sure to get there early and claim your spot, you know this will be a busy event!
For more details about the event visit the Town of Sylvan Lake Calendar here.
For details on camping and visiting the Sylvan Lake area click here.
In getting ready to fly with my kids when we head to Disneyland in September I reached out to some of my seasoned traveller friends. I am NERVOUS! This is our first time flying with the kids. Hubs and I both discussed not wanting to be those people with kids that are crying, won’t sit still or just generally crazy when we fly. At 8 and 6 I’m hoping it will be easier than when they were smaller but what’s that they say, “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst”