Driving can be stressful, especially when you are a mom with those little ones in the backseat! We were lucky enough to be invited to an event last night with Ford Canada to learn how to get blissful behind the wheel and I wanted to share some of the tips and tricks with you: the mom who sometimes feels like a bus driver or chauffeur. Every. Single. Day.
First, I need to tell you about a really cool feature in the new Ford lineup that will seriously take some of the stress away from your time in the car. It’s called SYNC 3 and it is your phone, navigation, talk to text, music, and connection to Siri all in one. The best part? it is almost completely hands-free! You can talk to text your husband and ask him to pick up dinner when you are stuck in traffic, order those flowers for your friend’s birthday by asking Siri to call your local flower shop and find out the weather forecast…. all in seconds through Ford’s SYNC 3 system. It’s basically genius for us multi-tasking moms; while keeping safety in mind through voice-activated commands.
Tips for Finding Your Bliss Behind the Wheel
Jennifer Neilson, a local yoga and mindfulness expert at thebitchinhousewife.com, says that you can be calm & feel relaxed even in the worst traffic conditions by following some of these tips:
- Start by paying attention to your posture. Are you sitting up properly? Do you need to adjust the seat or mirrors? Sit as far back into the seat as possible, with your head, ribs, and pelvis in one line. If you have heated seats or are lucky enough to have massaging seats, use them!
- Next, take some relaxing belly breaths before you even put the car into drive. Put your hands on your belly and take some deep breaths while feeling your belly expand. This diaphragm breathing actually stimulates a calming response in your body. Practice this at red lights too.
- Do a little stretching with that steering wheel. Try a modified Cat Cow (yoga speak for curving and elongating the spine with the breath). Grip the wheel and round your back with your chin tucked down while you breathe out for a few breaths then while exhaling push your chest towards the steering wheel and feel that nice stretch.
- Has anyone hurt their neck and back just by shoulder checking? Yup, I have and it is the worst! Prevent this by inhaling, sitting up tall and exhaling as you look over your left shoulder. Count 3 breaths and repeat on the other side.
- Don’t forget about the music! Create a zen playlist that calms you and makes you feel at peace with the road. Hopefully, your kids will let you listen to it, this one we can’t help you with!
How do you stay blissful behind the wheel? We would love to hear your tips!
Thanks Ford Canada for inviting us to this event to learn some great features in the 2017 vehicles along with these handy wellness tips!