Last Black Friday Amazon had a door crasher deal on genetic kits from 23 and Me. My husband and I thought it would be fun to do, so we ordered the kits. They arrived in record time in small little reusable boxes. November and December came and went and the kits sat on the kitchen island, getting shuffled around whenever we tidied up. I’m not sure why it took so long for us to actually send our DNA in. Maybe we were subconsciously sabotaging it, afraid for what might show up in the results. Or, maybe we were just busy. Whatever the case, they sat around for about 6 months before we finally got around to it.
The 23 and Me kit is really simple. You spit in a tube that is provided with the kit, register your kit number online, seal up the spit in the returnable box and drop it in the mail. We procrastinated on something that literally took 5 minutes. Once the lab received our samples we both were sent an email making us aware that they were beginning to process our samples. Throughout the process we were kept up to date via email and our individual and online accounts.
By Leah Ison
“The first rule is that you don’t fall in love, ‘ he said… ‘There are other rules too, but that is the main one. No falling in love. No staying in love. No daydreaming of love. If you stick to this you will just about be okay.”
There have been many stories about the curse of time that have sparked the romantic in me. The Time Traveler’s Wife, Winter’s Tale and Outlander to name a few. When I came across How to Stop Time, I immediately grabbed it, not just for it’s whimsical cover, but for the excitement of possibly finding a book that will pull me away from my own curse of time as a work-at-home-mom. Take me away, I demanded!
Last night we had a chance to check out the opening night performance of Disney on Ice: Follow Your Heart taking place at Stampede Corral in Calgary.
With performances from Mickey, Minnie, Dory, Elsa, Anna, Princesses and many others each character told their story of friendship, perseverance, making memories and most importantly following your heart.
The performances included fun skating routines and awesome aerial acrobatics that were captivating! A definite must-see for families and Disney fans that for sure.
See the Disney on Ice Performance
Tickets are still available for all remaining performances and start at $20/ticket.
Friday- 11am, 3pm, & 7pm
Saturday-11am, 3pm, & 7pm
Sunday-11am & 3pm
You cant get your tickets at participating Ticketmaster outlets, online, charge by phone at 855-985-5000, the Scotiabank Saddledome box office in advance or the Stampede Corral box office day of show.
If you are in Edmonton, make sure you stay tuned for a chance to win tickets to the Disney on Ice: Follow You Heart performance on November 30th in Edmonton. Disney on Ice will be in Edmonton November 30th-December 3rd.
Moms! You need to know about this product I’ve been using for the last month or so: it’s called LipSense. No doubt you’ve seen it here and there and probably wondered if it really works. Well, I’ve been putting it to the test, like all the tests. I have camped, paddled down the North Saskatchewan River, gone to a concert AND been a bridesmaid in a full day wedding all while wearing LipSense. The overall verdict? This stuff is amazing!
Here’s 5 Reasons Why I am in Love with LipSense:
- It really does stay on all day. Like I said, I’ve been testing it and it surpassed my expectations. Sometimes I put it on at night when I am binging on Netflix by myself, because pretty, and when I wake up in the morning my son asks me why I am wearing such nice lipstick! As a mom, we all know that it’s a good day if we even get to dry shampoo our hair, no one has time for overly fussy lipstick. A few steps in the morning, gloss throughout the day, and you are set.
- There is no transfer or smudging on to yourself, babies, husbands, drink glasses…. anything! I’m known as “aunty sparkles” because whenever I give a baby back to its mom they will likely be covered in lipstick kisses or some sort of blush/bronzer, not anymore for the lipstick at least! I’ve also avoided dark lip colours in the past because it looks so awful when it smudges, cue hot mess mom at the end of a wine night…. With LipSense the only thing left behind is sometimes a hint of clear gloss if I have just applied it.
- You can buy a remover for mistakes. Aptly called, Ooops!, the remover is helpful in the beginning as you master the application (which does not take long). It is also handy for removing at the end of the day, though quite often I find it will come off with soap and water as well.
- It does not dry your lips out. I had sworn off long lasting lip colour. Every time I have tried it in the past I have ended up with dry, chapped lips and a ring of colour left around the outside of my lips….not sexy, guys. With LipSense you just apply the gloss on top of the colour whenever you start to feel a little parched. My lips don’t feel dry or angry when I remove it at the end of the day either.
- Tons of colour combinations! I went safe the first time and chose “Pink Champagne” a lighter shade. I knew after trying it twice that I wanted something bolder, so I bought “Dark Pink” a few days later. The good thing is you can layer shades and create all sorts of great customizable colours. They even have various gloss options, including a matte one that I must try next.
- I feel beautiful. This is perhaps the most important part. As a mama who works from home most of the time while wearing a sports bra, t-shirt, yoga pants and top knot- this is the most glamorous part of my day. It is the perfect ‘pick me up and make me look pulled together for preschool pick up’ product.
Some Tips for Wearing LipSense:
- Make sure your lips are clean and dry. Do not apply chap sticks beforehand.
- Apply 3 layers, make sure each layer dries before you add another.
- If you get crumbs on your lips after eating just brush them off before you re-apply your gloss.
- Don’t freak out if your lips tingle the first few times you apply the colour! The company says that it is caused by dry lips and will cease after you stop using other wax and paraffin based lip products. This was true for me, I hardly get any tingle now and I’m rarely using my chap stick.
- Join the group Harmony’s Lip Babes for tutorials, inspiration and even flash sales!
We want to give you the chance to try LipSense for yourself! Discount Code + Contest Below!
For the next week (Until midnight October 17th, 2017) Alberta Mama readers will save 15% if you purchase ANY LipSense product through Harmony Ryan and mention us!
We’ve also got a $20 credit towards any Starter Kit purchase to give away! Enter below via the Rafflecopter widget.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Have you tried LipSense? I would love to hear what your fave colour combinations are!
*Full Disclosure: I was given a starter kit to try this product. I immediately purchased more of my own because I LOVE it. As always all opinions are my own:)